NCJW is fighting for abortion access as Jews, alongside our allies and partners, living out our tradition’s mandate to create a more just society. Jewish women and allies have been staunch advocates for bodily autonomy for more than 120 years. We won’t stop until everyone can make their own decisions for their bodies, health and for their futures.
73Forward is a Jewish movement for abortion justice. For too long the narrative in this country about abortion and religion belies the Jewish story. The Torah not only permits the termination of pregnancy, but even requires it when the life of the pregnant woman is at stake. NCJW will not stand by while anti-abortionists misuse faith to justify restricting abortion rights and access. We are people of faith too and abortion access is a Jewish value, plain and simple.
Learn How You Can Participate
NCJW Sacramento has committed to the 73Forward movement through education, advocacy and community service. Visit our Protect Abortion Access Take Action page to learn how you can participate and help protect abortion access.
Join our 73Forward Team
Join NCJW Sacramento’s 73Forward team to help implement the national campaign locally. No experience necessary. Be part of the team to protect abortion access by signing up here: NCJW Sacramento 73Forward
In the news
- Read Claire Lipschultz’s full interview with The Jewish News of Northern California Staff Writer Maya Mirsky: Q&A: How abortion laws shaped three generations of this family
- Sacramento Section turned out at #BansOffOurBodies Capitol March and Rally on May 14: NCJW Sacramento Marches to Protect Abortion Access
- View the statement from NCJW and Sacramento Section board member, Claire Lipschultz, during KCRA’s news story about the May 14 #BansOffOurBodies Capitol March and Rally: https://fb.watch/d2CsDmKg4h/
- NCJW Sacramento #73Forward and our Jewish faith partners gathered at the Federal Courthouse in Downtown Sacramento on May 3, 2022 to declare “abortion is healthcare” and protest the draft Supreme Court decision which would overturn the Roe v. Wade constitutional protection of abortion access.
- Listen to the ReproShabbat service held on January 28, 2022 at Congregation Beth Shalom. NCJW Inc. Vice President and NCJW Sacramento Board Member, Claire Lipschultz’s drash begins at 32:52.
- “A rabbi, a Catholic and a Muslim walk into a bar” ….see what happens when they talk about abortion with Samantha Bee on Full Frontal. NCJW Scholar in Residence, Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg, represents: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (air date: February 2, 2022) featuring NCJW’s Scholar in Residence Danya Ruttenberg.
- Jewish women are leaders on abortion rights. But they can’t do it alone | Jewish Telegraphic Agency
Jewish feminist icon Barbara Dobkin wrote a powerful must-read op-ed. Repro Shabbat should be the impetus for the entire Jewish community taking a stand for reproductive freedom, not just the institutions run by and for women.
- The Burden of Pregnancy | Lilith Magazine
This is Glenn proudly tooting Shira’s horn: read her brilliant and courageous story in Lilith.