NCJW’s campaign, 73Forward, is a Jewish movement for abortion justice. For too long the narrative in this country about abortion and religion belies the Jewish story. The Torah not only permits the termination of pregnancy, but even requires it when the life of the pregnant woman is at stake. NCJW will not stand by while anti-abortionists misuse faith to justify restricting abortion rights and access. We are people of faith too and abortion access is a Jewish value, plain and simple.
We believe transformational change comes from strategic advocacy, meaningful education and service. Some immediate actions are listed below in each of these areas. Please contact Claire Lipschultz when you engage in any actions so we can keep track of NCJW Sacramento’s efforts. You don’t have to be a member to take action!
- Tell your Senators to pass the Women’s Health Protection Act (WHPA) of 2021. WHPA is federal legislation that will protect the right to access abortion care throughout the United States. Support the Women’s Health Protection Act. https://www.ncjw.org/act/action/support-whpa/
- Ask the U.S. Congress to pass the Each Woman Act, a bold legislation that ensures that each of us, however much money we make, however, get our health insurance, and wherever we live, has insurance for abortion care: https://allaboveall.org/action/support-the-each-act/
NCJW Sacramento is part of the statewide advocacy network, NCJW CA. We engage with our partners on significant bills and budget issues that impact the lives of women, families and children. This legislative session we will, among other issues, be advocating in support of abortion access. Our Rapid Response Alert program provides easy ways to have your voice heard. Please sign up for Alerts to take action: https://forms.gle/u3EZST4RTzGLooSy8
- View our flyer: 18 Ways to Support NCJW Sacramento’s Fight for Abortion Access
- Check out The National of Council Jewish Women Inc. nationwide abortion justice campaign
- Review the recommendations of the California Future of Abortion Council.
- Review Jewish foundation for abortion access
- Learn about Best Practices for Language on Abortion
- Read and view personal stories on abortion. See the story of Sacramento Section Board Member, Claire Lipschultz
- Hold Courageous Conversations on Abortion with discussion guide: https://www.73Forward.org/
- Amicus brief submitted by faith organizations supporting abortion in Mississippi case
- Donate to Abortion Funds: Support NCJW’s Jewish Fund for Abortion Access, in partnership with the National Abortion Federation. National Council of Jewish Women’s Jewish Fund for Abortion Access puts this value into action: connecting real people who need abortions with the money they need to access care. Click here to make a donation: https://www.jewsforabortionaccess.org/fund
- Appreciation Project: Many abortion providers in conservative areas in California face harassment and worse from anti abortion protestors. We were told the staff at these clinics really appreciate receiving thanks and support for their essential work. We are sending short notes to them. Join us in sending the love and appreciation. Contact Naomi Rice.